Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Book of Handouts Article 11/26/2007

Here's another example of a typical welfare bum trying to get a handout. Because of the bad choices she made in life we're supposed to feel sorry for her.

Yes I said the words "she" and "her" - don't expect me to go light on this article just because this waste of a civilian life is a woman. I'm an equal opportunist at pointing out human trash.

Taken from the Times Leader online and written by Camille Fioti:

"Homeless, alone and pregnant, Mary arrived at the Salvation Army’s Kirby Family House just in time. While a resident at the transitional housing facility, she gave birth to her daughter, Evangeline. Mary and Evangeline spent the next six months at the facility while Mary learned valuable parenting and life skills.The residents are encouraged to save 70 percent of their income to pay off debts and save for housing. “Mary is such a pleasure to work with,” Zaleskas said. “She truly jumped right into the program.” It’s been almost three years since Mary, 23, and Evangeline, 3, left the Kirby Family House and moved into their own apartment at the Boulevard Townhomes. But there are many household necessities they still don’t have. Everything in the apartment has been either donated or purchased at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. The sofa is covered with holes from vigorous spot-cleaning, and Mary’s mattress is so worn that the springs are popping out and the middle is sagging." Aside from the typical liberal victimization of this poor woman and her struggle to overcome society's struggles bullsh*t I can say that at this point in reading the article the first time I was almost lead to believe that this woman was finally trying to motivate herself to do something. She was homeless and now she has a place to live. Granted it's low income housing but these places are meant to be there to help people who need them temporarily. It almost seems like this girl's finally on the right track. One question lingers: why was she homeless at 20 years old? I can only think of three things: drugs, alcohol or she left an abusive situation. If it were addiction that lead her to be homeless than it's a little obvious how she might have become pregnant.

"Mary’s family was nominated for the Book of Dreams by her caseworker, Lisa Caruthers, at the Kirby Family House. “Mary is a very special individual due to the circumstances she has overcome in her life,” Caruthers said." SEE?!?!?!? The Times Liberal is trying to say that she's a victim of society and that she is a wonderful person because she can overcome what society has given her.

"Mary’s troubles began, when, at the age of 12, she experimented with a drug that a schoolmate gave her, she said. She wound up in a legal mess after that and was confined to house arrest when she ran away. “For some reason, I didn’t want to be home,” she said." Why does this writer for the Times Liberal have to sugar coat her situation? Camille Fioti, why do you insist on making this woman sound like a victim? This is pure liberalism at its best: this 12 year old girl fell victim to a drug she "experimented" with and the innocent friend, the schoolmate (sounds like an innocent enough word to use - you don't use schoolmate for a 12 year old kid - you use it to describe your kindergardener's classmates) gave it to her. What's next? headlines that read: College student allegedly assaulted by play date? Why do the libs insist on watering things down? Call a spade a spade. She was 12. Her friend offered her drugs. She chose to use them. She liked them. She chose to keep using drugs got addicted and her addiction got her in trouble. She was not a victim of society. She made certain choices and then had to live with the consequences of her actions. To put it simple she made her bed and she had to lay down in it. There once was a time that I would have liked to ask where were her parents but as I get older I now realize that sometimes parents do the very best that they can and the kids still end up rotten sometimes. I'm not going to blame the parents because I don't know the entire situation. I don't know how involved or not involved they were with Mary's upbringing but I still believe firmly that two parents who are involved with their kids and raise them with the right values will lower the risk that the kid is going to end up a reject.

The next three years, Mary went from group homes to juvenile detention centers. “I was stupid and young,” she said. “I didn’t realize what I was doing to myself. I hurt my parents very badly.” It sounds like she's fessing up to her mistakes. Remember though that drug addicts have something very much in common with politicians: both will tell you anything you want to hear when they want something for themselves. I hope that this crackwhore decided to clean up her act for good. What other conclusion can you come to? At twelve she got hooked on drugs been bounced around between the streets juvy hall and group homes. All this time she still stayed on drugs and kept getting herself in trouble. At 20 she's pregnant and homeless. Besides the obvious answer how did she get pregnant? My guess she whored herself out and used the money to buy drugs. You got a better answer? I'd like to hear it.

"Looking back, Mary says the experience gave her the “building blocks” she needed to survive." Life has a way of teaching you lessons. I hope she learned a lot and can pass on her knowledge to her kids. Maybe they will turn out better than their mother.

"Several days a week, Evangeline attends the McGlynn Learning Center, an after-school program for children living in the Boulevard Townhomes complex. The center provides educational tools and social interaction. Evangeline enjoys learning on the computers there, and would love one of her own, she said." Am I missing something here? the kid's 3 years old!!! Kids that age don't go to school and use computers! They watch Sesame Street and camp out in front of the Wachovia arena to get front row seats for the Wiggles.

"In September, Evangeline became a big sister when Mary gave birth to a son, Jordan, who weighed only 3 pounds. He was transferred to the neo-natal intensive-care unit at the Community Medical Center in Scranton, where he stayed for a couple of weeks. He came home on Evangeline’s birthday in October. “He was the best birthday present,” she said, tenderly kissing her brother’s tiny head while stroking his hair." I'm glad to hear that the kid's doing well now, but the mother is now showing her true colors as a druggy turned welfare bum. You're broke off your ass and single (there's no mention of a father in this article) allegedly trying to make a better life for yourself after whoring yourself out for some smack and getting yourself knocked up. Instead of moving forward and improving your situation what do you do - you get pregnant to stay on the system!!! Low income housing the access card and welfare checks - that's the f*cking life baby!!!

"Evangeline has been sleeping in Mary’s bed because she doesn’t have a bed of her own. She used to sleep in her crib, but the slide rail is broken and duct tape is holding it together. Jordan needs clothes more than any thing, his mother said. He also could use a crib and a highchair. Mary said she’d like to acquire a single stroller for Jordan, and plans to give the double-stroller she received from the Kirby Family House to another family who could use it more." Finally waking up to realize that welfare isn't the good life?

"When Jordan was born, Mary quit her job at a McDonald’s. “I’d love to work,” she said. “But right now, he’s just too tiny.” I would like to see a man use that excuse and try to get away with it. The baby's 9 months old and not sick any more and you need things for your home. Go back to work and use the system for what it was meant to be used for - to help you out as you try to improve yourself. The longer you stay on the system the harder it will be to motivate yourself to strive for improvement. Statistics show that parents who stay on welfare will be very likely to have kids who stay on welfare. Make yourself something your kids can be proud of. Get a job make some money build some savings and move off the system and into a home of your own. It can be done but you can't be making excuses like "my kid's too tiny." I can't stand people who live on the system and take advantage of my tax dollars but this kid's young enough to keep moving forward in life. Someone needs to tell this girl - if she really did stop using drugs and was serious about making a life for herself and her children - that she made some major progress but there's room for more improvement: don't stop now just because your situation improved a little. I'd hate to see this person who seemed to turn the corner become a host to a parasytic welfare system that needs more reform than a naughty school girl in a sadistic flick. But it looks like it's a little too late unless someone gives this girl a good kick in the ass.

She said she plans to find a job in the near future. We'll see.

"In the meantime, the family gets by on food stamps, and Mary’s father helps to pay the phone bill and the subsidized monthly rent of $53. All other utilities are included in the rent." That's a shame. Not only on the system but mooching off you father too.

Mary has formed many friendships with the residents and staff at the Kirby Family House and has agreed to talk to other residents about her experiences. “It’s a wonderful place,” she said. “It gives you a chance to survive, to make it. That’s all it’s about – trying to help families make it.” Yup you made it alright. Instead of living on the streets living on drugs and perverts you're living on my tax dollars. How about proving me wrong and making something of yourself? I know it's honorable to want to stay home with your kids when they're so young but you gotta support your family. Make something of yourself and then your kids will be proud of you. You'll make your parents proud of you too. Nothing is worse than seeing your own child get on drugs become a juvenile delinquent get pregnant before you get married and settle in low income housing. I'm glad my kids never made mistakes like that. If they did my heart would break. I can't imagine what parents think when their kids end up like this. I know I would beat myself up every day wondering where I went wrong blaming myself for not being the father I should have been. I probably would ask myself: was I too tough? Am I not tough enough? Was I involved enough? Did I make myself available? The only hope parents have then is that their kids end up back on the right track.

Being a dad is troubling enough. When they're born you go through sleepless nights and have to go to work the next day. You promise yourself and your child the moment he is born that you'll be the best parent possible teach them the world and not make the same mistakes your parent made. The whole time that they grow up with you you keep thinking in the back of your mind that you want them to have it better than you had it growing up. When they go to college you hope they call and visit often and that they don't drop out or do something stupid at a frat party. When your kid gets married and has kids - well I don't have grandkids - but I can say I'm proud of myself. My kids turned out OK.

Yes, even grumpy old conservative bastards like me can have a soft side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you said about this one. And the best part is, all this crap is going to keep happening as long as these 'tards keep voting the Dems to control the county. I've asked the Times Leader in the past to do a story on all the people on public assistance and in county properties. Take a survey. When did they come here? Why did they come here?
They have never done the story.
I KNOW for a fact many of them come here because of the availability of $53 a month housing like mentioned in the story.
The scums across the street from me actually leave their doors and windows open all winter!!! Even if it's below 0. The heat is going 24/7 but they don't care since they don't pay. I've called the county but they won't return my call.
This whole thing sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, I'm starting to sound like you.

Anonymous said...

The problem with these welfare statistics is that they are kept under lock and key to protect the identity of those who are spending our tax dollars. The problem with the county is that they keep everything under lock and key to protect the politicians who misuse our tax dollars.